Sunday, April 22, 2007

Experimentally Challenged

I know one of the largest faults with what I am posting here is that I have no observational evidence to support my theories - that is, I do not have sufficient mathematics, or access to physics or cosmology equipment, to perform experiments or produce formulas to "prove" or at least agree with my theories. On the other hand, nobody is required to read any of this stuff (and perhaps nobody does).

Furthermore, there is no immediate, practical application for this knowledge. However, I believe it is possible that a further understanding of the phenomenon of our universe may produce new technologies or discoveries that can change our lives. The devices we dream up in Science Fiction tend to require technologies that don't yet exist, but I suggest they are possible.

Consider electricity, or even before that, magnetism. These are used in our every-day life, but before people were producing magnets, imagine a primitive farmer or hunter-gatherer even imagining the possibilities or uses of magnets. Before electricity was in common use, who would have dreamed what it was or what could be done with it? What other amazing things are ready at hand which we will be able, eventually, to manipulate and utilize to do things currently impossible?

Illustratively: the average household (wherever the free market is in effect) can now produce color images on paper, watch movies on various screens, listen to recordings of music made years or seconds ago, freeze water into ice, illuminate the dark, cool the air in summer, be sixty (or more) miles away within an hour, and (thank God) brew coffee.

We can even write down our thoughts in an easy-to-read type and publish them in an internationally-public manner such that other average people throughout the world can read them seconds later. In fact, it is even possible to translate those thoughts instantly into other languages (though the translation is often amusing rather than useful).

With all that said, I now press on, experimentally challenged though I am, with my theories.

No comments: