Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Frogs and Voters

There was an assertion made, when I was in high school (I don't know what the official label is now, but most people still know what high school means), that a frog does not notice water is getting dangerously hot if it is heated slowly. Apparently, my grizzly friends assured me, the frog couldn't tell the water was too hot until it died, boiled to death (though this implies that it can tell after it dies, but let's not get into grammar, this was a biology lesson - another reason I'm glad I never took biology). Just what the point of the biology lesson was supposed to be (if it was indeed factual and not an urban legend dreamed up by kids sleeping in boring biology classes) I couldn't tell you, but I am glad I heard it. The principle applies so well in other parts of life.

As a side note, I must confess I believe most of my teachers would be shocked and dismayed that I was able to take practical, conservative value lessons out of a grizzly biological lesson that no doubt is part of the underlaying Hollywood assertion that they can make movies based on nothing but disgusting gore "because that's what we want".

So, what is this wholesome goodness that comes from such an icky concept?

The idea was that a frog's natural instincts were to avoid other dangers. They could see motion and jump away from it. They could feel direct or sharp pain and try to avoid or evade it. They had survival instincts and could live in water or near it (probably better than we can). But if you came up on them slowly, if you increased the danger a step at a time, they were incapable of recognizing their peril until it was too late. Patience and small steps won the day (at least if you wanted boiled frogs-legs for dinner)

It seems to me our politicians (and I will not spare any other country, though I am speaking mostly of my own - the United States of America) have figured the basics of this principle out. They had been, for ages, able to simply strong-arm us into whatever agenda they wanted to push. Unfortunately, the more success they had in pushing their agenda, the easier it was to see not only what that agenda was, but the horrible, misguided effects of that agenda could be, and furthermore that most of us did not want those agendas or their effects.

To wit, the politician's new tack is to ratchet up the heat slowly. Some might argue (and I hope they are right) that politicians are reduced to no other power - that we have successfully disarmed them from major movements (by proving that they are, actually, held accountable - at least enough of them that the rest can't accomplish their radical agendas) and therefore all they have left are smaller movements.

I may have a more jaded, cynical point of view when it comes to politicians - particularly those whose opinions and agendas are so far removed from the average American. I think they've just come to realize that we won't go for sweeping, massive liberal changes any more. Yes, liberalism used to be the core of American freedom and conservatism was associated with monarchy, theocracy, and other totalitarian concepts. The reversal has been stunning and complete.

Another side note: I believe this is why they cling so desperately to abortion, it is the last issue upon which they can rest any claim to offering choice, even if it is a horrible one.

Anyway, it takes some sharp eyes and connect-the-dots mentality now (sometimes leading down the dark, frightening road of conspiracy theories, and I am not guiltless there) in order to uncover the true agendas behind seeming innocuous legislation, rulings, or actions. You have to think several steps ahead - to when the water is uncomfortably hot or even scalding as opposed to hot-tub warm - to see the ghastly effects of these agendas.

Their outright stated concepts are boiling water. Their hidden double-speak is the slow raising of temperature. Be careful that you're an informed voter and not a frog.

1 comment:

Kristen Harrison said...

Excellent analogy - I have often wondered if this is true or urban legend too... and have drawn some similar lessons/parallels from it. You rock.