Saturday, July 10, 2004

Our kids: The Exciting Prospect of Mankind?

Instead of posting the entire article here on the blog, I am going to seriously encourage you to read the link of "hope" at the bottom of this entry. I remember someone close to me once asked, since each generation rebelled against the previous, and in particular through their music, could we possibly imagine what our children would listen to? I remember I answered something to the effect that they would rebel by refusing to be rebels, but rather by liking our music. The reply was a frustrated frown and the query how could that possibly be a rebellion? I said because we considered it OUR music and they would take it away from us (face it, once a teenager claims something, they can out-hip us five ways to Sunday without stopping at Denny's). They would rebel by liking us and being likeable.

I didn’t understand it back then (this must have been 20 years ago, yikes!!) but what I think I’m saying is that because there would be those among us who wanted to justify our own rebellion by pointing to our kids and saying “all kids rebel, we were just kids” our kids would deny us that justification. Additionally, I think (though the phrase had not been coined then) I saw then that our kids would carry off the ultimate dig: they would take away from us the chance to be the next “greatest generation” by so clearly being ready to overshadow us.

I’m not talking about kids being perfect little angels. My own kids argue, they do things wrong, they hide candy in their room, they get suspended from the school bus... rebellion goes much deeper than that. It’s doing things behind my back, it’s running away from home a few times – and then for real, it’s doing drugs and having sex before they can even drive a car.

I find incredible hope in this article. I am excited for what may happen in my lifetime. Which of us might be patiently trying explaining third grade math to the next Albert Einstein? What could Einstein have done if instead of starting where he did; he could start at the end of his work and move beyond that?

There is an interesting article relating the policies that the “left” espouses and the loss of population (Christian Europeans, for example, have not been replacing themselves even 1:1 for 30 years). If you look at the things they scorn and the things they support, they take a very self-destructive stance overall (conspiracy theories here might suggest this was done deliberately during the 60s and 70s by our enemy then, but you’re not really suggesting *I* am a conspiracy theorist... er... are you? Hey... why are you looking at me that way? You don’t have any funny business in mind do you? Hey! Stop it!)

The Article of Hope:
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=40424

An example of self-destructive politics follows. Let me know if I need to blog about this one, though my point will not be about individual choice but rather because one party has forced this issue into national debate, they have espoused self-destruction. Again, I have no problem with people making individual choices that seem counter to what's being said here, I'm looking at the overall swing.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005277

No comments: